February 08, 2016

The Past Two Months In The St. Louis Mission




December 14th, 2015
Hello,

He has used those whom I love to answer my prayer… that I have been longing for… for a while now. 

I am literally just sitting here in amazed.  I am listening to Aynsley's homecoming talk and looking at Sadee’s picture of her missionary homecoming.

Today, let me just say thankkkkkkkkkkkkk youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu for helping me recommit myself.  You make me realize how important this work is. I am overwhelmed and my heart is full of joy and peace. I have felt the spirit very strongly as I sit at this computer in Fenton, Missouri, in this little library.  I am truly amazed how the lord can teach us and what I have learned today.  Let me say, I have learned so much and my heart is full, truly full.  The spirit has touched my soul very deeply.

I sit here with a loss for words. I don't know what to say. I love the lord. I love my family and I love my friends.  We are all working in this together. I think a lot of times I lose sight of the real purpose of things. I love heavenly father’s tender mercies and today, this Monday, was a tender mercy.  This work is the most important work of all.  I am working with HIM, who is the prince of peace, who is truly my best friend. 

Let me just say thank you again. 
I love you all and cannot wait to talk to you soon, 11 days!
MERRY MERRY CHRISTMAS.



December 21st, 2015

FAMILY,

Oh my goodness, I get to see your faces here in just a couple days over Skype.  I am giddy about that, I am not really sure about the details.  We will be calling in the afternoon from the Andersons.  I will give them your information and have them call you in the next couple days to set things up.  Does that sound all right? 

MERRY MERRY CHRISTMAS.  How is it already almost Christmas?  There is NO snow here.
 NONE.
 ZIP.
 This is not normal for Midwest weather.  Last year at this time, it was freezing. It is crazzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. 

A little info about our week here in Fenton.

Monday night, we went to learn how to do family history with a new ward missionary.  It will help us better use family history as a tool for finding opportunities.  It was interesting. GRANDPA’S NAME REALLY IS NOT JERRY????

I went on an exchange with the Crystal City sisters.  I went to their area and I served with a sweet, sweet sister, Sister Peel.  She was homesick and was struggling.  This is her first Christmas away from home. I really love her.  We were able to see some LA's and PM's and share, “A Savior Is Born’ cards.  We found some really awesome potentials for their area.  I survived my first exchange.  One down, many more to go.

There is this really awesome girl here... HALEY who got baptized before I got here.  She had us over and told us that SHE IS GOING ON A MISSION. It was really cool.  One week before her news, we had a lesson with her.  We shared our mission stories explaining why we are here now and how heavenly father answered our prayers.  We were not planning on sharing that for our lesson. But it is amazing how used we get to following the spirit that sometimes we do not even realize it.  She told us when we shared our stories; she KNEW it was the answer she has been looking for. AND SHE TALKED TO HER BISHOP AND WILL START HER PAPERS IN THE SUMMER.  Converts are seriously the coolest.

Sister Rapp, my comp has been sooooooo sick.  We could not go to church yesterday. She has had to come in and rest quite a bit.  She has a nasty cold/flu ish thing that is going around.  This morning she woke up with PINK EYE.  Poor girl. She called president Morgan and we talked with president and sister Morgan.  I joked with president about how I was trying to make sister Rapp breakfast this morning.  But it tasted like cardboard. President Morgan asked what I tried to make and I said I couldn't tell them.  He asked again and I told him pancakes.  He about DIED laughing. "HOW DO YOU MESS UP PANCAKES?" I said.......................president (laughing)..................that is why I did not want to tell you.  I asked him if there was anything I could do for them?  His response, “ Get your companion better.”  I told him that I was not meant to go into the medical field..................but I would do my best.  He replied, “Sounds like you should not go in the food industry either." I start laughing, “I AM HOPELESS.”  We had a good laugh and it was good for all of us.  I love president and sister Morgan.

We will be going and spending time with members on Christmas Eve and Christmas day.  We are going to the mission home for a minute on Christmas Eve. YAY!
Merry Christmas from St. Louis.

REMIND ME TO TELL YOU ON CHRISTMAS ABOUT JADA.  Do not let me forget.  The story will be so much better in person. SHE IS A MIRACLE. 

We are working with a returning member and her name is Cinnamon and she is nothing but amazing.

The work seems to be moving slowly, but I know that the lord is teaching me to be more patient, especially with a sick comp.  We are reading the book of Mormon again as a mission and I am focusing on inquiring of the lord and not murmuring.  So this really has been a good test for me. 

I love my savior. As we have spent some time in the apartment, I really have been reflecting on my mission and what it truly means to me.  I have gone through my journal, looking at old entries and pictures and I cannot find words to explain my mission experience thus far. This is by far the hardest thing I have ever done, but I would not change the experiences for anything in the world.  My experience is not longer a sacrifice, in fact it never was a sacrifice, it will always be something very sacred to me.

A SAVIOR IS BORN.
REJOICE
REJOICE
REJOICE
GREATLY.
I love him. He is my forever pal.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL. 

XO
Sister Dahlberg










December 28th, 2015


Hello family and friends,

Family... just a few days ago we talked to each other. What a happy day. It was really good seeing you all. Side note. (I secretly love that you said I now have somewhat of a  "black girl" voice) 
Dreams come true.
jk,
lol 

2015 is just about over.  Are we ready for 2016?

Funny story- our car broke down last night and members are taking us around today.  Truly, if it is not one thing it is another......we had to drive home with the windows down last night so we could see out the windows. It was hilarious.  But hey, I do NOT have pink eye… so that is a bonus. 
Something that I have learned,
My mission has taught me to be a 
PROBLEM SOLVER.

Oh hey. 
We started teaching 2 new investigators last night!! Eric and Brandon. They are roommates.  We brought along a young member who had a lot of great things to say.

It is really interesting to be able to teach people who have such different beliefs.  Hearing what they have to say and to try your hardest to teach and testify of the things you KNOW are true, teaching from the bottom of your heart, even if they may disagree.  My mission has also taught me that the spirit, with the love of god, will soften hearts always, no matter what.   It was really interesting, when we finished the lesson, I just realized that lesson similar to that just increase, build, mature, and nurture my personal testimony.  I am reminded constantly that this church is true, Jesus Christ is at the head of it, leading and guiding us, and very simply- I am doing what is right. 

When we taught Mary, an investigator, who I met for the first time yesterday, I realized that it had been a while since we have been able to actually teach the full message of the restoration.  I realized just how much I missed it and the spirit as we taught and testified warmed my heart. 

This area is reallllly slow, but do not worry, I have not lost hope.
President Morgan told me to keep the fire burning and that is exactly what I will do.

The members here treat us so well.  I am so grateful that I was able spend Christmas here in Fenton, Missouri with the McDermott family, Anderson family, and Larsen family.  This is my second Christmas being a missionary.  Oh how grateful I am for our father who sent his perfect son for us, for me and for you.

We are going on exchanges with the Webster Groves sisters and guess whom I will see tonight? LULU. I am so happy about that!!  After our phone call Saturday night, I cannot wait to give her the biggest hug. I love her more than words could ever express.  I have not seen her in over 7 months and she truly has become one of my very best friends.  The fact that I will be able to see her tonight really brings me so much joy that is much needed.

Reflecting on my mission and all that I have learned, all that I will continue to learn, and the person I have become as I have come to know him and his gospel more fully, on a deeper level.  I think back to the people I have met, the moments when I realized exactly why I was called here to the St. Louis, Missouri mission and truly that is what keeps me going each and every day.

I am reading the book of Mormon.  Our mission together is reading it before conference.  I am going through and marking the missionary/the person I want to become. Boy, oh boy is heavenly father teaching me lots. 

I really have realized lately. 

God loves me just as he loves you. He loves member of this church and non-members, he really does love us all the same.
Hard times help us become better......but ONLY IF WE LET THEM.
Being tired is part of our mortal beings.
Murmuring does no good. (That is something I am still learning)
I am far from perfect, but I am trying.
And the list could go on and on.

I am grateful for this time that I can grow and learn, to represent my savior.
Happy 2016 to the people I love.

pics

Sister Petrie............MTC COMP. Obsessed with her. Christmas eve night at the mission home.
Sister Rapp calling her family to set up Skype. Document moment.



            January 4th, 2016
 Hello,

I have zero time.  We had a sister’s p day at the mission home earlier today.  I gave president Morgan a good tease as always, his birthday is on Friday and he told me not to tell anyone. hahahaha I love that man. He is the best mission president in the world.  I let him watch the video of Lulu's reaction to me after we haven’t seen each other for 7 months.  The video captures the reunion as we screamed and hugged each other. I love her. I got to see Lulu this week when I went on exchanges with the Webster Groves sisters and it was so happy.  I wish I had time to tell you all about, but it really was so good seeing her. I know one of the many reasons why god sent me here was for Lulu.

The floods.................. we are safe and sound. Please pray for the people here, some have lost so much.  We did service on Friday lifting 50-70 pound sandbags and taking people flood clean up kits from the church.  It broke our hearts to see what the floodwaters have done.  The church is working to provide service in the community.  Everyone was worried that I was going to hurt myself carrying the bags, and they wanted me to stop. (They said it was a man's job................) but I just kept going.  I wore boots and a bright yellow vest, because sewer water and floodwater dripped all over me.  I just wanted so badly to help. We all just wanted to do what we could.

We have a really busy week this week, with two exchanges back to back. I have been thinking a lot about the pre-mortal life lately.  I would highly encourage everyone to read his or her patriarchal blessings.  I pondered the first two paragraphs of mine during studies.  I am just so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who cares about us all.  I love him with my full heart. 

I am sorry this is so short.  I love you all so very much. "Where there is great love there will always be miracles."

xo, sister Dahlberg



           January 11, 2016


SISTER MONTGOMERY  (MY MOMMMA) IS ENGAGED.

Oh hey.
Remember me emailing saying transfer numba 10 was a wrap just yesterday?
NOW transfer numba 11 is a wrap.
How does that happen?
3 months from today I will see you all in person.
I can't believe it is almost to the end.
My time as a missionary means a lot to me.

We had a wonderful, absolutely phenomenal missionary conference. All 197 missionaries met together and ELDER RASBAND spoke to all of us.  I wish you all could have been there to feel the spirit as an apostle of the living Lord, Jesus Christ spoke to us.

One of my favorite things and it warmed my heart; he told President Monson that he was coming to visit the missionaries in the St. Louis, Missouri Mission.  President Monson said,
"OH, PLEASE TELL THEM I LOVE THEM."
I love that man.

Elder Rasband talked a lot about the revelation given as they assign a missionary to a location and to a mission president and his wife.  The stories he shared with us will always stay in my heart.  He talked about the revelation given to President Morgan to assign us areas and companions, the importance, the great importance of all of that and how it truly does come from on HIGH from God.

Missionary life is a roller coaster, but I am reminded again and again of the deep love that I have for this work.  I love sharing the good news to all and the deep love that I have for my savior. THE CHURCH IS TRUE.  It is so important that I came and that I am here. I will be returning home in 3 months in soooooooo much more debt to my savior.  My debt really is growing.  Once again, reminded of my mission theme- 

I STAND ALL AMAZED, TRULY. I DO.


Transfer calls came and we called all the sisters in the zone to tell them what was happening to them and some crazy things are happening.

My companion (sister Rapp) is leaving to go to the Mexico, Missouri with sister ERICKSON (my baby)
Sister HENRIE (my baby) is coming to this zone.
                     I AM GETTING SISTER WALKER. (one of the funniest sisters in the mission) 
We are going to have so much fun doing The Lords work together!
She will be coming to Fenton tomorrow.

May I leave you with a challenge? For the next 90 days, I am working on and really focusing on one thing per day to become more like the savior.  Today I am focusing on,
 WHAT DOES THE LORD SEE AND FEEL WHEN HE LOOKS AT THAT PERSON.
Seeing people the way that God sees them is an important thing.

Heaven gained a special soul, my very favorite ”grandma” in Marceline, Deloris Smith passed away.  She will definitely be one friend that I will run to see after this life. 
I know Heavenly Father has a plan and I fully trust in him.

I love you all.
XO.
SISTER DAHLBERG












          January 19th, 2016


hello.

We do not have much time at the library today and we have a busy day ahead of us. 

I am going to be 100 percent honest; I am super overwhelmed with everything and everything that is going on. So much is changing, so many things are different, and my mind is just having a hard time with it all.  But hey.........I will survive.

Sister walker is my new companion and we have been laughing a lot.  That is always good!

We had MLC this week and it was one of my favorite missionary meetings and training from president and sister Morgan.  We got to spend some time close to the temple.  Sister Morgan had all the leaders stand up and say something that no one knew about us.  I told the group not to laugh. Because I  had been attacked by a dolphin. You should have seen the look on President's face. HAHAHA

This week we went to a relief society cooking activity for dinner and a non-member was there and they gave me a pork egg role.  I almost ate the whole thing, before realizing it was completely raw pork inside.  Mine was the only one that was not cooked.  I panicked. I am still recovering from that one. 

We met a Jewish man this week and we had a lesson with him outside on his driveway.  He looked at me and told me why what I believed was wrong, after I bore testimony to him.  It literally broke my heart it two. WHERE THERE IS TRUTH, THERE WILL ALWAYS BE OPPOSITION.

We went to visit a potential/former this week and she was really hesitant of us and then her little dog got out and started running away.  I DROPPED MY BAG AND SISTER WALKER AND I STARTED SPRINTING towards the run-away dog!  I saved the day.  After that, she felt that she trusted us.  She was totally open to have us come back.  What a small miracle!

I got to talk to Lulu on Saturday and that was a really happy time for me. After I got off the phone with her, I thought, if I have to go through all of this, it is completely worth every second because I came and met Lulu.  She gave me a really great pep talk about missionary work and the important role of missionaries and what we are doing and the seeds that we are planting, no matter the outcome.  My heart filled with joy.  Lulu has always been the one TEACHING ME.

We had a fun sisters p-day yesterday at the city museum and in the city.  St. Louis really is such a cute city. I love it.  Sister Henrie came and we laughed and laughed.  It is good to have her back and have her in the zone. We both think the same things are funny, so we just laugh and talk about memories from Danville.

May we all try to turn outward, even if it means volunteering to pump the gas in the freezing cold so that your companion can stay in the warm car. 
DO IT. (:
I just want to become like my savior.  Has anyone noticed how many times the Book of Mormon talks about being diligent? I am amazed, truly amazed how many times the lord reminds us to be diligent.

I think at the end of the day, whether an old Jewish man tells me with a firm voice that I am wrong or if people don't ever call us back, or I feel overwhelmed with what the next months hold.  None of that really matters, what matters and what I will remember is how much I love my mission and truly the person I have changed into and am becoming, THAT IS WHAT MATTERS.

I know as long as I am diligent in working, it will all work out, it always does. 
Love you all to the moon and back.

MEET SISTER WALKER EVERYBODY.


          January 25th, 2016

Today something special happened....
We received a message this morning asking us if we would come over and talk to someone who was needed us.

I felt the love of God so strongly for one of his daughters. Cinnamon. I sat and shed tears, listening to her and I felt honestly and truly the pure, and I mean PURE love that the Father and Jesus Christ have for her.

That will always be a moment I will remember. 

I received this email from a dear family from my first area just today. 

"Dear Sister Dahlberg,
 It was one year ago today that my best friend was baptized. The year has flown by. As I sit and reflect back my heart smiles. Seeing the pictures of you the last week and hearing the confidence you have makes my heart smile. 

I think back to when you first came to Marceline. You were scared and homesick, and we were a broken family putting ourselves back together. Slowly we all found our way and how many awesome changes have come. Don and I will finish our Temple prep classes tomorrow. As soon as my health improves we will be getting our Temple recommends and our endowments. Our goal is to do it before you go home. We are planning on being sealed as a family in late May. 

I know that my family isn't the only one you have touched. Thank you for serving a mission you have changed our lives forever. 

We love you,
The White Family

I cannot and will not glory myself. I am unworthy to glory myself.  I know it is not me, it is THE LORD. Just as the book of Mormon states, truly god has provided, heaven sent miracles, as I labor and continue to labor in this part of his vineyard in the St. Louis, Missouri mission.  Oh how blessed I feel that he let me be a part of their journey and to be here to witness his miracles and his pure love. 

My heart is happy.
My heart is full.
Happy week to you all. 

Sincerely,
Sister Dahlberg 




February 1st, 2016

hello people.

This week...... oh man.

Sweet sister Henrie came here to Fenton with me on exchanges and it was fun to see how far she has come. She was born to be a missionary.  That girl is always laughing. It is refreshing. I will be going on 2 exchanges this week. 

We had a lesson with John this week, one of our investigators, and we invited him to be baptized.  But he started saying- " I will not get baptized, no matter what you say."  The members that came with us just were not sure what to do. Haha  It was pretty funny. We will just keep working with him. He knows the message of the restoration is true. 

We started teaching CINNAMON’S BOYFRIEND PATTY.  He is the coolest person ever. One of the funniest and nicest people here.  We have fun teaching him with Cinnamon’s little kiddos.  He keeps us laughing and is always a good sport, even when we have to play hangman to teach the restoration. 

We had president interviews this week.  OH BIG NEWS, the Morgans are officially grandparents!!
 President Morgan and I always have the best talks. We talk and giggle for the majority of the interview, talking about all different kinds of things.  He said, 

"Sister Dahlberg I wish I could be there at the airport when you come home."
I giggled and asked why...
He said, “Because your parents are not getting back the same little girl that left their house.  That is a miracle of a mission."

Can your mission president and his wife be your best friend?

Weekly planning this week, we planned for 7 hours, and it was intense. 

Something special happened this week:

We don't very often have a full open day. That means with no appointments, but it happened on Saturday. Sister Walker and I prayed multiple times that heavenly father would lead us where he needed us.  And he did.
Previously, we met a member’s neighbor and have really wanted to help and share the gospel with her.  Later Saturday night, we decided to head to Valley Park, to check up on one of our investigators.   We had a thought to go back to the member’s neighbor’s house.
We pulled up and there she was sitting on the porch, looking heart broken.  I got out of the car and said hello.   I started walking toward her and she reached out her hands.  I gave her a hug and she started crying. For confidential reasons, I will not go into what she is going through, but it sure is a lot.  She is an atheist. We sat with her crying, and we talked with her for a long time.  Then we all went over to the member’s house to talk all together. I told her that we had a full open day and how heavenly father sent us straight to her door.  She accepted a priesthood blessing after the member explained what it was. It was getting really late, past 10 p.m.  We sent a text to our leaders to tell them we were in a serious situation.  We were needed and we would be home as soon as we possible.  Sister Pederson went into her bedroom to ask her husband, who was ready to go to bed, to give the neighbor a blessing.  A few moments later, he walked out in his church clothes.  When I saw him I started CRYING.  It was a really sacred moment for me. My testimony of worthy priesthood holders grew deeply.  I wish I could explain the peace that was in that room, we all could feel it.  The neighbor even mentioned it.  This is the church of JESUS CHRIST himself and moments like that; I am just reminded so strongly.

The last few days have been rough with sickness, just adding memories to the memory book though.  My companion has been right by my side, doing all she can to help.  After going in the hospital last night, they gave me medicine that is really helping, so all is well. 

The mission nurse and her husband came to my hospital room and the zone leaders came in to give me a blessing.  After they put medication in my IV, I remember saying this:
 “THIS MIGHT BE TMI, BUT MY MOUTH TASTES LIKE THROW UP.”

Oh heaven help me. 
Everyone just started laughing.............

I am doing so much better and I thank heaven for that. 

Have a happy week!




February 8, 2016

I am so happy, I might cry,

JENNIFER AND DON WHITE HAVE THEIR TEMPLE RECOMMENDS AND ARE RECEIVING THEIR ENDOWMENTS THIS MONTH AT THE ST. LOUIS TEMPLE AND I GET TO GO. (most likely date is Feb 20)

That is literally all I can think about right now. 
My heart is so happy. 
                                               
so 
so 
happy.

That family is so special to me and they always have been and always will be!  I was looking back at my journal entries and my heart is just full of so much gratitude that I was able to meet them MY VERY FIRST DAY AS A MISSIONARY IN THE FIELD.  Talk about heavenly father leading us straight to them.  Teaching and watching their family be baptized through my first 4 1/2 month as a missionary will always be so special and sacred to me.  They are a family whose miracle fell straight from heaven.
I am telling you, Marceline will always have my heart.  I cannot express the appreciation I feel that heavenly father let me witness such a miracle.
Thinking about seeing them dressed in white in the temple just makes me giddy… so giddy.
OH MY GOSH. 
This is what everlasting happiness feels like, I just know it.

I STAND ALL AMAZED AT THE LOVE JESUS OFFERS ME. CONFUSED AT HIS GRACE THAT SO FULLY HE OFFERS ME.

                                                                  Truly, I stand all amazed. 
MOMENTS JUST LIKE THIS makes every second worth everything.
I would not trade my mission experience for the world. 
I am at a loss for words.

Sometimes I get caught up in the small things, and I get overwhelmed, and I try to do this work by myself. And then I realize very quickly that it is impossible work without help from heaven and that the small things do not matter.  But the message I can offer to people is the most important message I can share. It is the message of complete love from our savior.  It is a message of hope, oh so much hope.  It is a message of truth. It is a message of never ending opportunities to change and become better.

The White family is so special to me and they always will be.

My work here in the Missouri, St. Louis mission is not yet finished. 
I will do everything I can to bring the message of complete hope to the people here. 
I will give the next 9 weeks my all.

Sincerely,
the sister missionary who can not stop smiling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment